Thursday, October 5, 2017

Dia De Los Muertos Bandera






I started decorating my house for Halloween and Dia de Los Muertos and thought / decided that the Mini Piñata I made a few weeks ago needed to somehow be incorporated into a banner. Of course I have no patience and wanted something quick, and this was whipped out in less than an hour!

Just noticed in the picture above how off center the smaller fireplace grate and cover are. No worries though on my part, I'm a little off center anyways so it seems appropriate, don't you think?

The first thing I did was take a screw eye and carefully insert it into the side of the piñata, closer to the top of the skull than the middle. Repeated that on the other side. Then put seam binding through the screw eye and a knot to secure it, repeating on the other side.  Set that aside and got busy on the Papel Picado flags.

To make the Papell Picado flags I used the supercalifragilousinexpialidociously cute Thinlits Die Set - Banners Papel Picado and the Heavy Crepe Paper Sampler Set. Once they were cut out, I glued some of the Wide Scalloped Dresden Border across the top of each flag. To secure the flags to the seam binding, I whipped out the 1/2" Scor Tape (that I hoard) and applied to the back of each flag. Press the flags down onto your seam binding and there you go...flags are secured!

To hang the banner, you will first have to attach the Mini Piñata to wherever you are going to hang it. I looped masking tape to the back of the piñata and stuck it onto the mantle. Then I used push pins for each end of the banner to hang it up.

Note: Yes I now that most people don't like to use push pins on their mantle or walls. However! If the push pin marks get unsightly on our mantle then I just sand over the hole, and rub gold leafing over it. (By the way, Slim Daddy thinks that I'm just enhancing the mantle, not covering up holes so you just keep that bit to yourself; y'all know how delicate he is when it comes to my tricks!)

You can view my supply list here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dreadfully Delusional Dolls - Ms. Marwood

  Ms. Eunice Amelia Marwood Loves to walk under the darkness of New Moons. Lives off Veuve Clicquot, cavier and cigarrettes. Collects antiqu...

Popular Posts